We want you to know that we don't knowingly collect personally identifying information from anyone under the age of 13 unless we first obtain permission from the child's parent or legal guardian. The website contest is only intended for individuals ages 13-18.
As a Visitor to our Site, we want you to know what kind of personalized information we may collect on the Site, how we collect such information, how we intend to use the information, and how we intend to keep the information secure. Generally, some of this will depend on what type of Visitor you are:
Teenagers (ages 13-18) and Adults
PARENTS AND GUARDIANS NOTICE
It is important for you to talk with your teen or child about using the Internet safely. Here are just a few things to keep in mind when talking to your kids about the Internet:
- Remind your kid to never give out his or her full name, address, or phone number, or any other information that would enable someone to locate, contact or identify him or her, without your permission. Help them make up a creative and unique username and password and advise them to keep their password secret.
- Tell your kid that if they receive something that they are not sure about or if another user says or does something that they don't like, to let you know.
- Impress upon your kid the importance of never engaging others in a communication or activity that would put them at risk.
Teenagers (ages 13-18) and Adults
- Information Collected: When using this Site and its Services, Visitors may be asked to provide certain personally-identifiable-information (for example, name, address, phone number and e-mail address) and general, non-personal demographic information (e.g., occupation, hobbies, zip code, etc.). Visitors may be required to provide personally-identifiable information when registering for a specific Service on the Site, participating in a contest, requesting information from us, or searching our magazine articles. If a Visitor opts (or has opted) to enter one of our competitions, or otherwise opts to submit an idea to us, we will also collect school information, ideas, research and details about his or her ideas, photos, drawings and other materials regarding such ideas, patent information (as applicable) and other information relevant to the idea or competition. The terms and conditions of our competitions will be presented when a Visitor enters the competition. We will use the information received from the Visitor in connection with such competition, if applicable, and otherwise to evaluate the Visitor's invention ideas.
- Use of Information: We will use the information we collect on the Site, for example, to provide and enable the Visitor to participate in the Services requested, to provide e-mail accounts, to send newsletters and updates regarding our Site and Services, to send announcements of invention competitions, to respond to inquiries and requests, for our internal market research activities, and to otherwise promote our and our business partners' (such as, for example, our competition sponsors') activities and products. Any information we collect on the Site may be used, for example, to provide a Visitor with periodic marketing and promotional notices and other correspondences from us. We may also make this information available to other persons or entities whom we believe offer goods or services that may interest that Visitor. This information may also be shared with others for the purpose of completing transactions arising from the Site or the Services. A Visitor may elect to "opt-out" of certain uses of their personally-identifiable information as set forth below.
- IP Addresses: We passively collect IP addresses for the purpose of system administration and to maintain and report aggregate Visitor information. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to a Visitor's computer. Web servers can automatically identify individual computers by their IP address. We may link IP addresses to personally-identifiable information.
- Links: The Site may include links to other third party Web sites and other third party Web sites may link to the Site (the "Linked Sites"). We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of the Linked Sites and hereby expressly disclaim all responsibility and liability which may arise from there.
- Technical Information: Settings, technical and other information concerning a Visitor's computer, such as an operating system, browser version, connectivity, various communication parameters and other information related to the operation and interaction of the Site and the Services may be passively collected by us.
- Tracking Usage Patterns: We also may passively gather information and usage patterns related to our Visitors' use of the Site and the Services, including without limitation, real time tracking of other Web sites linked to and from this Site, to better understand how our Visitors, as a group, use the Site and Services, and the various features thereof, as well as to help us provide personalized offerings, and to conduct market research and other commercial activities. We do not engage in behavioral targeted marketing.
- Public Forums: When you contribute to certain community areas of the Site and certain of our Services, such as a chat room, bulletin board or other similar open forum, the information that you submit may be made available to other Visitors to the Site who have registered on the Site or for such Service. For this reason, we recommend that you do not submit any sensitive information, including your full name, home address, phone number, financial information or other information that would enable other users to locate you. Instead, make up a username that does not disclose your personal identity.
- Consent to Processing: The Site is operated from the United States. All Visitors of the Site and users of the Services fully understand and unambiguously consent to the collection and processing of their personally-identifiable information in the United States.
- Legal Disclosure, Acquisition: We shall, pursuant to valid legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order, allow access to relevant Visitor information, in order to comply with such process and to protect our rights and property. If warranted, we may also allow access to this information in special emergencies where physical safety is at risk. We may also disclose or transfer personally-identifiable information regarding Visitors in connection with a merger, acquisition, change of control or sale of all or substantially all of our assets related to the Site.
Send certified/return receipt requested mail to: BKFK, 1177 High Ridge Road, Stamford, CT 06905. Attn: Customer Service
General (Applicable to Visitors of All Ages)
Thanks for visiting our Site.
1177 High Ridge Road
Stamford, CT 06905
Version Date: September 8, 2014