1. Eligibility: CTIA Wireless Foundation Drive Smart Contest (“Competition”) is open only to individuals who are legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are at least 13 years old and not older than 18 at the time of entry. Employees, officers, directors and advisors of the By Kids For Kids Company (“BKFK” or “Administrator”) and CTIA Wireless Foundation (“Sponsor”) and their respective parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies, advertising and promotion agencies, Competition Judges, web masters and web suppliers, and persons engaged in the development of the Competition materials and members of the immediate family (parents, siblings, children [natural, adopted, foster] and spouse, wherever they reside) or household members (whether or not related) of such employees, officers, directors, advisors and Competition Judges are not eligible. By participating, you agree (and if you are a minor in the jurisdiction in which you reside (“minor”), your parent/legal guardian agrees) to these Official Rules and all the decisions of Administrator and Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. In the event you are selected as a potential winner, your parent/legal guardian will need to execute a formal acknowledgment and agreement to these rules in order for you to become the official winner. Void where prohibited by law. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations.
2. Competition Period: Competition begins on October 17, 2016 at 12:00 Noon (ET); and ends on December 19, 2016 at 5:00pm (ET) The Competition computer is the official timekeeping device for the Competition.
3. How To Participate: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. You may participate in the Competition by going to:, clicking on “contest” and following instructions found at the website (hereinafter the “Website”). When you access the contest on the website, you will be asked to register by selecting a username, a password and entering your full name, address including city and state, email address and birthdate. You will also be asked to enter your parent’s/legal guardian’s email address when you sign up. We will send an email to your parent/legal guardian notifying him/her that you have signed up with the website and they will have the option to opt you out of the website at their discretion, in which case you will no longer be allowed to enter the Competition. When you have selected the username and password you will be assigned an account. You may proceed to your assigned Entry Workspace and you can develop your Competition entry and potential submission. When you enter the Competition you will be asked to answer four (4) questions and upload or provide link to your supporting Drive Smart Digital Short (hereinafter, “Digital Short”) media file (video). You may enter as many times as you wish but each entry must be submitted separately. Entries must be in English and only individuals may enter – no team entries. By submitting an entry form, each contestant represents that the contestant has read, understands, and agrees to be bound by these rules and agrees to submit an affidavit of eligibility and compliance with these rules.
4. Competition Online Entry Workspace: By following the instructions on the Website you will be able to store the entry you are working on (for example: the answer to one of the questions or your media upload), access that entry, change, alter and modify it to refine at any time or times until you are ready to submit your entry. By having and using a Workspace, however, you are under no obligation to submit your entry into the Competition. Until such submission, a) Administrator will have no access to your Workspace or the work in your account, and b) you can remove your work at any time prior to submission.
5. About Usernames/Passwords/Accounts: When you access the website to work in your account or to participate in the Competition, you must log in using your username and password. If at any time you forget your username or password, you may gain access to your username and password by following the on-screen instructions and your username or password will be shown to you on screen. You are solely responsible for the security of your username and password. You should take precautions to keep your username and password private to prevent unauthorized use. Neither BKFK, Sponsor, nor any other person or entity will be responsible for any losses, damages or consequences you may suffer due to careless or unauthorized use of a username and password.
6. The Competition Entry: An entry must fully answer all of the questions in the online entry form (hereinafter “entry”) providing information about your Digital Short and upload or provide link to a supporting media video file. The Idea/Entry must have been conceived by the entrant and be the sole and original work of the entrant.The entry must:
- Be a 30–60 second Digital Short in the form of a video that is created to convince other teens of the dangers of distracted driving and the importance of not texting while driving;
- Include an uploaded video file or link to a file (this could be a .mov, .wmv, .mpg4)
- Be submitted in the English language.
The entry cannot:
- Include any written description (or part thereof) which is already protected by patent or copyright unless the patent or copyright is owned by the entrant; or
- Include any music or video (or part thereof) which is already protected by patent or copyright unless the patent or copyright is owned by the entrant; or
- Include entry materials, image uploads, or use of the site that are considered inappropriate in any way (as determined by Administrator, in Administrator’s sole opinion).
7. Creating the Competition Entry: Your entry must be submitted through the Competition Entry Workspace on the Website which was established in accordance with Rule 3 above. The media upload can only be accepted in .mov, .wmv, or .mpg4 formats or you may supply a link to a media file.
8. Entry Submissions: When you have completed your Entry, and are satisfied that it answers all questions fully, and includes your uploaded media file or your link to a media file, click on the “submit” button. Prior to your entry being submitted your parent/legal guardian will need to agree to the official rules by clicking the appropriate button. Once that is done your entry will be submitted. While you can change, alter or modify your Entry before it is submitted (while it is in your Workspace in edit mode), once an entry is submitted it cannot be changed, altered or modified for any reason and in any way, whatsoever. You may keep a ‘read only’ copy of your entry, which has been locked, in your Workspace for archival purposes. By submitting an Entry you (and your parent/legal guardian if you are a minor) warrant and represent, to the best of your knowledge, that the entry, and your submission thereof to the Competition, (1) does not violate any law, regulation or right of any third party, including but not limited to patent, copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property or sui generis right, (2) that the entry does not violate any fiduciary relationship or violate any agreement you may have, (3) that the entry is your own sole and original idea, (4) that the entry does not contain any virus, bugs, or other deleterious material. You may also mail your entry using the official mail-in entry form available for download on the Website.
Entries must be received and recorded by the Administrator’s Competition computer by December 19, 2016 at 5:00pm (ET). Please click, ‘contact us’ for assistance.
Entries once submitted become the property of BKFK and will neither be acknowledged nor returned.
9. Judging: There will be two (2) rounds/phases of judging:
Round/Phase 1: The Judges will judge all Submissions based on the following items (the “Judging Criteria”): (i) Originality of the entry (40%); (ii) Effective communication of the message (30%), and (iii) Potential impact of the Digital Short (30%). The Judges will select the 10 (10) semifinalists (“Semi-Finalists”) from among all Submissions received during the Contest Period, provided there are at least ten qualified entries. In the event of a tie, the Submission with the higher score in the “Originality of the entry” criterion will prevail.
Round/Phase 2: Judging for this round will be a completed by a final judging panel of 5 to 7 Judges appointed by the Sponsor to determine the Grand Prize winner (the entry with the top score), two runners-up (the entries with the second and third highest scores) and three finalists (the entries with the fourth, fifth and sixth highest scores). The potential grand prize winner, runners-up and finalists will be selected on or around February 28, 2017.
Judges decisions concerning all matters related to this contest are final.
10. Prizes and Approximate Retail Values:
- One (1) grand prize winner will receive: (i) a scholarship in the amount of $10,000.00 to be issued in the form of a check; and (ii) a check to their teacher/mentor in the amount of $1,000.00 (ARV: USD$11,000.00).
- Two (2) runners-up will each receive: (i) a scholarship in the amount of $5,000.00 to be issued in the form of a check; and (ii) a check to their teacher/mentor in the amount of $500.00 (ARV: USD$11,000)
- Three (3) semifinalists will each receive: (i) a scholarship in the amount of $1,000.00 to be issued in the form of a check; and (ii) a check to their teacher/mentor in the amount of $250.00 (ARV: USD$3,750)
All winners will be required to submit a short testimonial video describing the benefits of the contest, what they learned and encouraging others to participate. Complete guidelines for the contents of the video will be communicated to each winner by the administrator.
The teacher/mentors will be nominated by each of the winners listed above as the teacher/mentor who was most helpful in their entry process. The actual odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received. Administrator shall be responsible for the delivery of the prize to the winner.
Each prize is non-transferable and non-assignable, with no cash redemptions or substitutions except at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Winner’s parents will be required to complete releases in relation to any prize. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value at its sole and absolute discretion.
11. Additional Terms: If a winner becomes disqualified or fails to claim or forfeits a prize for any reason, Administrator will award the prize to the next highest scoring entry. Sponsor and Administrator assume no responsibility for lost, misdirected, or undelivered prize notifications or affidavits. Sponsor and/or Administrator reserves the right to disqualify any entry for failure to comply with these rules, or with the laws and regulations of the United States, or any of its state or local jurisdictions; or because the United States government has levied sanctions against the contestant.
11. Winner Notification:Each potential winning entrant will be notified by Administrator, within ten (10) days of the selection of the potential winners, via telephone, email and/or overnight mail and/or mail and will be required to execute (with the parent/legal guardian if the entrant is a minor) and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and (where legal) Publicity Release and other documents, as designated by Administrator, by specified date on forms. Non-compliance with the foregoing or such parent/legal guardian's failure to comply with verification process and/or eligibility requirements, return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable, the inability of Administrator to contact a potential winner within a reasonable time period, the applicable potential winning entrant may be disqualified and, at Administrator discretion and time permitting, awarding of prize and winner status to an alternate entrant.
12. General Conditions: By participating in the Competition, you (and your parents/legal guardian) agree to the Official Rules and the decisions of the Judges and Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Winners/finalists will be notified by phone, mail or email.
Entry materials will not be acknowledged or returned.
Participants (and participant’s parent/legal guardian) hereby: (i) grant to Administrator and Sponsor a non-exclusive, perpetual license to receive, reproduce, distribute, display and otherwise process submitted data, materials and information, and to evaluate same, both in connection with the Competition and outside of the Competition, and (ii) agree (a) that Administrator, and Sponsor their respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, and all of their respective officers, directors, trustees, employees, representatives, advisors and agents (collectively the “Released Parties”) are released, will have no liability whatsoever for, and shall be held harmless by participants (and a participant’s parent/legal guardian) against any liability for any injuries, losses or damages (whether due to negligence or otherwise) of any kind to person(s), including death, or property, or for breach or failure of any representation, warranty or obligation, or for infringement of rights of intellectual property, publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light, resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in this Competition or any Competition related activities, and (b) except where legally prohibited, winner (and winner’s parent/legal guardian) grant (and agree to confirm that grant in writing) permission to Administrator and Sponsor and those acting under its authority, the right to the use of the winner’s name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and statements, and entry (or any part thereof) at any time or times, for advertising, trade, publicity and promotional purposes without additional compensation, in all media now known or hereinafter discovered, worldwide and on the Internet and World Wide Web, without notice, review or approval, and (c) winner (and winner’s parent/legal guardian) agree that the winner shall appear at any times and at any places deemed reasonably necessary by Administrator or Sponsor to advertise, promote, or otherwise market the winner’s entry (it being understood that any such appearance will be on reasonable notice to the winner, that winner will be excused from such appearance should he/she have a prior commitment which cannot be delayed, and reasonable expenses as determined by Sponsor for any such appearance will be borne by Sponsor).
13. Liability Limitations: Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, or non-delivered entries; or for interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, telephone or other connections, availability or accessibility, or miscommunications, or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, or lines, or technical failure or jumbled, corrupted, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures, or technical errors or difficulties, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry or other information or the failure to capture, store, or loss of, any such information. Entrants are expected to, and shall, retain copies of all portions of their entries, and shall not rely on Administrator to retain same. Administrator shall not be responsible for lost or corrupted submission materials. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of this Competition, as solely determined by the Administrator, will be disqualified. Use of any automated system to submit Entry Forms is prohibited and will result in disqualification. The Entry Form shall be submitted by the Participant in his/her own name and a proxy cannot be given to this effect, failing which the Participant will be disqualified. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to participants' or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this Competition or downloading or printing materials of any kind from, or for, this Competition, or use of the Website. Should any portion of the Competition be, in Administrator’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, technical failures or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Administrator, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct, or submission of entries, Administrator and Sponsor reserve the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Competition, and select the winner from entries received prior to action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Administrator or Sponsor. Released Parties are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition, and assume no responsibility for any error, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation, or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction, or unauthorized use to this website. In case of dispute, the authorized Website registrant whose email address and date of birth is used to enter the Competition at the actual time of the submission of an entry will be deemed to be the entrant, and must comply with these Official Rules.
14. IN NO EVENT WILL RELEASED PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE WEBSITE OR DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SAID WEBSITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THIS WEBSITE INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE COMPETITION, IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OF EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
15. Arbitration/Choice Of Law: Except where prohibited, entrants (and entrants parent/legal guardian if entrant is a minor) agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Competition, or any prize awarded, or the determination of the winner(s), shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration pursuant to the Rules of the American Arbitration Association, then effective, and (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Competition but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and/or Administrator in connection with the Competition, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Connecticut, without regard for conflicts of law doctrine, and all proceedings shall take place in the State of Connecticut. If permitted by law, and the Rules of the American Arbitration Association, entrants (and entrant’s parent/legal guardian if entrant is a minor) agree, all proceedings commenced hereunder, the details, transcripts, testimony and all particulars of all such proceedings, and the results of all such proceedings, for example but not limited to findings of fact and/or law, and awards, (all as however characterized), shall be kept and maintained as confidential by all of the parties (and their counsel or representative(s)) to any proceeding, and shall not be disclosed, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to any third party.
17. Winner List: : For the name of winners mail a first class self-addressed stamped envelope to: BKFK, ATTN: Drive Smart Contest; 1177 High Ridge Rd; Stamford, CT 06905 for receipt by March 28, 2017. Name of winners may also be posted on the Drive Smart Contest website.
18. Administrator: The By Kids For Kids Company, 1177 High Ridge Road, Stamford, CT 06905 USA.
19. Sponsor: CTIA Wireless Foundation, 1400 16th St. NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20036